Author Topic: guinea pigs  (Read 2647 times)

Offline jayendra

• Global Moderator
  • Warragul, Vic.
    • Jay's music
guinea pigs
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Have resorted to letting them roam around the backyard, hidding under the pots and stuff.

Offline Dave

Re: guinea pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
Ha Ha Gold! I always find Guinea pigs amusing and imagining them running wild in your garden is great. Watch out for the neighborhood cats though!

Offline jayendra

• Global Moderator
  • Warragul, Vic.
    • Jay's music
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

Offline Mukluk

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:16 PM »
I know that this is an old thread, but how did the guinea pigs go?  I have always wondered if it is feasible to free range a few guinea pigs to keep the grass short in places that are difficult to mow.  I have heard that they are unlikely to run off, but I worry about cats and foxes.

Offline jayendra

• Global Moderator
  • Warragul, Vic.
    • Jay's music
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
Yeah a nasty cat moved into the area - they got eaten :(

Offline Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Yeah a nasty cat moved into the area - they got eaten :(

Just a normal cat you mean. They're born hunters and shouldn't be allowed to roam free. Sorry about your guinea pigs.

Offline jayendra

• Global Moderator
  • Warragul, Vic.
    • Jay's music
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Nope... I'm pretty sure it was scarface claw 'toughest tom in town' ;)

Offline colum black-byron

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:00:29 PM »
I thought they would have been a little too big for the cat to get hold of  :(

They wouldn't survive my dog though, he's very friendly, but I think he'd see a little running chew toy.

Offline Coustralee

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 02:35:03 AM »
id like to get some one day and make a guinea pig tractor, pretty much a cage with an open floor and wheels that you move to a new section of lawn once they've mown and fertilized the other section enough.

Offline Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
Nope... I'm pretty sure it was scarface claw 'toughest tom in town' ;)

Oh wow! Scarface Claw!  9999 I've heard about him. Poor things would never have had a chance.

Offline Dave

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
I thought they would have been a little too big for the cat to get hold of  :(

They wouldn't survive my dog though, he's very friendly, but I think he'd see a little running chew toy.

Cats have been documented killing Wallabies and brushtail possums etc. It's amazing really what they are capable of killing. A guinea pig wouldn't have a chance.

Offline Mukluk

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »
id like to get some one day and make a guinea pig tractor, pretty much a cage with an open floor and wheels that you move to a new section of lawn once they've mown and fertilized the other section enough.

We did that for a few years with a single guinea pig that someone gave us.  He was great at eating out weeds and things in places I could not be bothered to mow.  It worked well for us.  He got out of his cage one day when I put it on uneven ground, he ate out all the grass, then went on eating and I found him sitting under a shrub in the vegetable garden looking content.

I would also put his cage on the vegetable patch to eat out everything and fertilise for me prior to planting.  He died of old age (he reached 7 or 8) a year or so ago.  We should probably get another one as the kids really loved him.

Offline bubba louie

• Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
Piggies are much much happier with a friend. Just make sure you get both the same sex.
ā€œJust living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.ā€
 Hans Christian Andersen