Author Topic: Unusual violet/blue flowering plant  (Read 612 times)

Offline fios

• Gardening at Wynnum, Qld; photgraphing at large
Unusual violet/blue flowering plant
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »

This ?succulent is flourishing happily in a disused electric kettle! The leaves are soft and fragile. The most unusual feature of the violet/blue flowers is that four ?stamen grow closely along each petal, seeming at first glance to be sprouting out of the petal. My attempts to identify the plant have failed. Can anyone one please help me - again? (The attached photos have been compressed significantly; the originals show much greater detail.) 

With anticipatory thanks,

fios
Don't judge each day by the harvest that you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline nixphotopix

Re: Unusual violet/blue flowering plant
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:44:03 PM »
Really hard to see but looks like dogsbane (Plectranthus caninus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fios

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 12:48:39 AM »

Thank you, nixphotopix, for your prompt and constructive feedback.

Having perused Google photos for Plectranthus caninus, there is an excellent match with regard to petals. However, a problem exists with leaves and, to a lesser extent, with the centre of the inflorescence: the Google photos show a large bullet-shaped central structure, protruding well above the plane of the petals - unlike my photos.

I'll check out other Pleactranthus species to see if I can find a better fit, particularly with regard to leaves. Thank you for heading me in the right direction.

fios

PS:  Perhaps the plant in my photos is anomalous - at a formative time in its life, the electric kettle in which it resides may have been switched on inadvertently!

Don't judge each day by the harvest that you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline fios

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

Hi again nixphotopix,

After several hours of scanning photos on the Internet, I have failed to find a better match with my unidentified plant than your suggestion, namely Plectranthus caninus.  So, despite the significant differences with leaf shape and, to a lesser extent, with leaf colour, I'll settle for P. caninus - the match with the unusual petals is perfect.

With renewed thanks,

fios
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline nixphotopix

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
No worries. Another way of confirming it may be p. Caninus is that its foliage smells remarkably like marijuana.
Not that I know what that smells like [emoji15]

Offline Ms Rabbit

• Sunshine Coast, Qld
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »
Looks like it could be plectranthus neochilus. I'm on my phone so I'd need to look at your photos larger on a laptop later.

Offline fios

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
Thank you Ms Rabbit.  I have checked Plectranthus neochilus via Mr Google, and am satisfied that your suggestion is correct - many thanks!

As you may have seen from the earlier correspondence, I wasn't 100% happy with P. caninus: tho' the flowers were a good fit, the leaves were not.

My only concern now is why a "popular" name for P. neochilus is Lobster Flower.  Can you shed any light on this?  Tho' I'm not on especially intimate terms with any lobsters, to me they bear no resemblance whatsoever to P. neochilus!

Cheers,

fios
- Robert Louis Stevenson