Author Topic: What is killing my Eremophila glabra?  (Read 494 times)

Offline malleegirl

What is killing my Eremophila glabra?
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
I’m the SA mallee, Mediterranean climate, sandy soil, an unusually wet winter & spring. I planted Eremophila glabra in spring 2015 and they grew very well. In winter one stem at a time became dry and crispy, almost overnight. The same began happening to the Eremophila maculatas in the same garden bed. I cut all the dead stems/branches off and everything recovered, until now.

The glabras very quickly died from the centre outwards (photo 2), the ends were still healthy and growing (photo 3). I sprayed a naturally based insect spray (garlic/chilli/pyrethrins) to no avail. Within days the death had spread out to 2/3 the diameter of the plants. Today I cut them off at the base and disposed of them.

It is not lack of water.
The nearby maculatas are healthy.
They were growing in close proximity to a mature callistemon (photo 1).
The mulch was from the powerline tree loppers and was here when I moved in 2 years ago.
When I moved the mulch to cut the plants off, some chunks of mulch were covered in a white filamentous substance (photo 4).
There are many small fly like insects on the mulch.
My oregano in another section of the yard has begun to do the same thing, dry and crispy one stem at a time, quickly.
In another garden bed one branch of my Westringia fruticosa ‘grey box’ is beginning to die, leaves turning yellow then black (photo 5).
Three saltbushes in another section of the yard are very rapidly getting yellow leaves (photo 6).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
Re: What is killing my Eremophila glabra?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
perhaps a fungal thing? insect attack should show signs of chewing or sucking, this seems more systemic. Given we have had a very wet year, i suspect fungal.

...and welcome :)
T

Offline Whwoz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
Welcome Malleegirl,

I suspect that you may have a case of root rot.  have you inspected the roots of any plants that you have lifted?

White filaments on mulch are most probably one of the wood decaying fungi and probably not directly the cause, but other fungi may well be.  Maybe worth digging down in the area where these plants are dying to check to see if you have  a water logged pocket.

Woz
Woz

Trafalgar Vic

Offline malleegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »
Thanks Templeton & Whwoz
I'll dig around the roots tomorrow and see if that gives clues.
I cut off all the dying stems off everything and sprayed with Mancozeb, then went away for 4 days. No more dead stems that I can see and everything looks a bit better now. I've had a quick internet search for fungal remedies and milk spray comes up, perhaps I'll keep plugging away with that.

Cheers