Author Topic: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Grub

Re: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
Sowed some "Tango" lettuce as well as some herbs. Planning to dig over the main bed finally on my days off and line the bed with geotextile. I figure even if some roots get through it's good to have something between the gravel and soil. A lot of the flowers I germinated a few weeks ago look ready to plant out, I'm excited to see what they look like as I've not grown most of them before.

I grew some coriander from seeds in a spices packet and the leaves are horrible. It's definitely still coriander but the leaves are thick and dark green and exceedingly bitter, not the usual delicate lighter green leaves, I've done this in the past and the coriander was fine so I'm not sure if it's this batch that is a particularly bad leaf variety that is only grown for seeds or if it's the cold that made them taste like this as these were germinated in early August.

In any case I'll be replacing it with the slow bolt variety that I know will taste nice. Coriander is probably my favourite of all herbs and I only have a short window that it grows really well.

I have basil / thyme family volunteers all of the place (I suspect most of them are marjoram and Thai basil as they drop the most seeds end of season) so I'll let a few of those develop so I can see what they are. For some reason my Marjoram always dies early spring (three years in a row now) so it's good that its babies are popping up everywhere within a 2 metre radius. I'll need to sow some fenugreek for the wife too.

My overwintering basil experiment worked, the plant is very woody now but has new growth coming out of a lot of junctions and the basil tastes the same as it did last year. I'm attempting to propagate some of the stems I pinched out.

Lots of work to do this week!
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline Grub

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Planted parsnips in the middle of main bed. Since the bed is 1.5m wide its not easy to reach the middle so it makes sense to put either flowers or a long season harvest once crop there. Hopefully they germinate as I've read they don't have a great shelf life and I bought them two years ago. When they are big enough I'll transplant some leeks alongside them.

Offline Grub

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Sweet dumpling and crookneck squash, more lettuce.

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
Damn it. I had finally got everything sown or planted and all the beds had seedling popping up - an we had a frost last night and predicted for the next two nights. There are a lot of sad looking pumpkin, zucchini and bean seedlings out there this morning though the tomatoes seem to have come out of it ok. I think I have lost all the okra and eggplants as well as as some of the sweet sorghum. Oh well, at least there is still time for resowing.
Casterton, Victoria
Rare and unusual vegetable seed farm

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
Apart from the planned varieties, I have pumpkins coming up everywhere; the seeds seem to have survived the compost bin. At least they are not as bad as the stinging nettles that come up from the sheep manure.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
Glad I haven't hurried to plant, we wait until Cup Day just in case! Been too cold to get up bean seed quickly too!

Answer me this, do you fertilise for every season veg crop? My other half thinks it's not necessary & thinks we could go 4 crop seasons & need to add nothing!! Not me, I'll be out with organic pellets, garden lime & blood & bone and maybe all purpose but I want organic!!

I got given "special" pumpkin seed from fellow dog walker! He said better than butternut, he doesn't like JAP my fav! Have to say I've gotten a bit sus when people brag about something that's their fav. Guess people feel that way about my passion for crookneck squash!  ^^77 But as with all veg, I'm not in your house to see how you cook it! My redneck neighbour scares me, puts veg in pressure cooker & turns it to mush!! I regret sharing my bounty with them!! ^^11^^

Will plant all veg garden this next wk! Dig! 👩🏻?🌾

People who love to eat are always the best people! ~ Julia Childs

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2017, 10:03:47 PM »
I'm no expert, but the following has worked for me. After each crop, I turn the bed or section of bed over, adding compost and either some chicken manure pellets or aged sheep manure if my neighbour and I have gone to pick some up. I use little fertiliser afterwards, while the new crop is growing. I add some organic potash to fruiting crops if I think they need it.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
I should qualify the above with the raised garden beds are just over a year old, filled with a garden loam from the local garden supplies place. Maybe with time the soil might need less conditioning, I don't know. This is the biggest scale I've ever grown veggies.

Offline Grub

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
Been very very busy with other things, but garden has not been neglected. Potted out all my tomato and capsicums.

Updated my blog too. :)

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Well I decided to add pelletised organic fertiliser & garden lime to the whole veg patch & just blood & bone to area where sweetcorn is planted this season. DH rotary hoed it all after it was fertilised last night. I have some organic Ozmocote for veg to sprinkle around heavy feeders later.

Today after busy morning donated plants & cuttings to hostel fete, lunch & watched Tino's segment on growing tomatoes I went out to get ready to plant!

Started out to stake & hoe lines for all the rows moving string each time, about 1:30, boring & then ready to plant. Took 1/2 hr drink break then to put in sweetcorn seed in first. DH came out close to dusk as I was getting to corner where bean seeds was going. Last bit planted, tools put away & leftover seed brought in! DH announces he's off for fish & chips, I didn't realise it was 7:20!! Don't think I need to go to the gym or get fake tan, plenty of vitamin D!

Offline Grub

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
Removed all the diseased peas and unproductive (probably also diseased) broad beans and planted out cucumber, kiwano and bean seedlings in the troughs. Also sowed corn in one of the troughs, not sure if the spacing is too aggressive but I guess we'll find out in time.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
I've planted all the veg garden, then added a few flower seed here & there, usual small sunflower, cosmos & zinnia. Great germination results, but...... I am struggling, white fly, terrible, over whelming, 35 years gardening here & I've never had anything like it, clouds of them. I am so bummed, I want to give up!! 😤 :29: :29: :29:

Offline Grub

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »
Seems like ever year you get swamped with a new pest. I think because gardens are pretty far between in my urban area, I don't have predictable pests (apart from aphids and spider mites, of course). Last year Mirid bugs and a certain kind of ant were the worst. Whitefly wasn't so bad last couple years for me. Sticky traps? I think they are also pretty delicate, so the right spray pattern might take them out without hurting the plants. I've become more and more sparing with the use of insecticides including soaps and oils, because they take out the predators, but whiteflies are worse than aphids because they can escape predators more easily. You might need to though, repeat every few days for a week or two to break the lifecycle.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »
Thanks Grub, I've got such a big veg garden & it seems like the Jerusalem artichoke, mint & other dense bits of bushy plants habour thrm. Spray with water up & back they they go. Brush the plant, cloud of them in my face & all over me, soap & water not enough? I must try harder I guess, after winter my veg garden gives me such joy & pride, this is disheartening!  ^^11^^

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Sowing quite a few different lettuces. Overall, very disappointed with germination rates. My own saved seed has been by far the best. Ditto with beans. Frustrating!
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
Funny you say that, Raymondo. I've been disappointed in the germination rates of all my leafy summer greens.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
 ??++ Must have gotten lucky with planting time & watering, lettuce & spinach has germinated well! Some seed bought this season for other crops fair to good especially flowers!!! Old bean seed I've kept I beer fridge over last couple yrs has come up well too!

Offline Grub

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Planted out last lot of radishes in a couple of troughs (including one I sowed "Max" sweetcorn into a few days ago) and although it might be a little late in the season, planted out one more small trough of shallots as the autumn planted ones are nearly ready and it'd be nice to have more early next year.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
This week has been a big planting week as therapy between computer sessions. Pricked out Mortons Mix lettuce 2015, planted tomatoes to the beds, dug up and relocated lettuces that I'm going to collect seed from, tiny basil seedlings went in today, along with peat pots of dill, and just emerging Lofthouse dwarfing melons. Some larger basil plants went in to mixed crossing/eating bed, that my mum looked after while i was overseas.
Sowed tomato seed, my Little Flame dwarf Jaune Flammee F6 perhaps?
Away for a couple of days will see if the earwigs that survived the flamethrower assault are voracious on the seedlings.

Impatiently waiting for the garlic to fall over so i can re-use the bed, and for the broadbeans to dry down a little so i can pull them and get those 3 beds into summer production.
T

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
I keep forgetting to put up what I've planted.  888**
I have had to re-sow seeds in a new bed I've established for summer. Apparently it's a popular hangout for our resident wild bearded dragon.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2017, 09:02:51 PM »
Swap you family of rabbits & hares for one bearded dragon!

Offline Troppo

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »

I’ll take them off your hands.. love me some roast rabbit and hare stew
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »

I'll take them a nd add them to our breeding stocks, lol.

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
Potatoes sown so far - Burgundy Blush, Dutch Cream, Nicola and Sebago. Another batch of Nicola will be planted in about two weeks. Sowing beans too ... so far Great Northern, Haricot de Tarbes, Hopi Black, Jade, Mojave, Provider, Rattlesnake, Simba and Trionfo violetto. Slugs and slaters are making life hard for the newly emerged beans.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2017, 08:26:03 AM »
Ray, I got a piece of downpipe which I cut into 4 inch sections put copper tape around and plant out all my beans, peas, cucumbers, zucs, pumpkins into these until they get bigger, no more slug and snail problem, just have to find a solution to those dam black milliped like insects.

I love your beans, didnt know any of the varieties, liked that some were heat tolerant (love google), which are climbing vs bush. Do any of them have speckled bean seeds love those type.