Author Topic: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
Re: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 04:50:26 PM »
Dragons?
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:24 PM »
A bearded dragon and a water dragon, both of whom eat fruit and vegetables, as well as insects. I've been picking off cabbage moth caterpillars and feeding them to the lizards too. A win-win situation.

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
Excellent!
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
The first of 45 different Pole Beans start germinating after 4 days at 25ºC  9999

Roland

Offline Grub

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Planted out broad beans and peas in new 72L 800mm troughs along the northeast facing fence. Invasive tree roots and the jasmine on the other side of the fence has made it impossible to utilise the native ground even though I put a lot of effort into building it up. So I just raked it over, covered with tan bark and added these troughs. I'm hoping it's not too late in the season. I have covered the broad beans and the sugar snaps with a row cover, I am hoping the snow peas will be okay as is. I can actually rig some kind of fleece cover for all of them but I'll wait to see how they go first as it'd be a bit of an eyesore. I'll plant more peas in front come August or there abouts to climb up the taller ones I planted today. Hopefully in these raised planters with fresh potting mix I won't get the same fungal diseases as years past. I am also trying sugar cane mulch rather than pea straw.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
Finally, finally, finally got an afternoon in the garden, found some potato onion selections, and planted a small block.
Whew!
T

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »
Planted some garlic today, first go at it, so fingers crossed. Also planted some more cauli seedlings, and some more peas.

Offline SeanD

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
I didn't plant them today, but I did find some Garlic just poking out of the ground as I was leaving for work this morning.

Didn't think they'd work. Everyone normally grows garlic from bulbs, these were seeds saved from a plant that flowered, nice surprise to see them sticking their heads up out of the soil.

The real test will be if there's anything to dig up in a few months time.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
10,50 meter Asparagus Mary Washington planted out yesterday
Today a little rain so it was a perfect planting moment
Now the long waiting for the first harvest  %$%

Roland

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
A new veggie for me
Fagopyrum Tataricum or Tatar Buck-weed

Roland

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
With the days still reasonably sunny and warm, I planted some more cabbage seeds yesterday, hoping to get a second winter crop. Also planted some beets and pak choy.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
Planted my Pole bean collection (45 varieties) out
2 same opposite from each other 5 seeds together
Dry- , Snap- and Lima beans
Salads and Fagopyrum Tataricum or Tatar Buck-weed in-between

Roland

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 04:28:27 PM »
I didn't plant them today, but I did find some Garlic just poking out of the ground as I was leaving for work this morning.

Didn't think they'd work. Everyone normally grows garlic from bulbs, these were seeds saved from a plant that flowered, nice surprise to see them sticking their heads up out of the soil.

The real test will be if there's anything to dig up in a few months time.

A rare and lucky find, true garlic seed. My garlic flowers never set seed. The little bulbils that grow with them seem to win out and the flowers simply wither away with nary a seed in sight.

Offline Grub

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
The peas and broad beans I planted didn't come up. Not sure if I made a mistake pre-soaking them (maybe it works in warmer months). I guess I'll wait until august now.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
Grub, I soaked some tic beans (green manure mini broadbean) for first time for me. Took ages for them to appear when planted. My climbing snowpeas & sugar snap peas went in just after Easter, old seed but surprised at germination!! Rabbits back with vengeance eating our broccoli!!! DH has fenced area now!!
People who love to eat are always the best people! ~ Julia Childs

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Planted out a whole pile of different potato onion selections, after getting garden bed prepared by my new helper. Too busy, and too many sprains to do my own digging...ashamed :(
T

Offline Grub

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
The peas are coming up finally. I was expecting slow germination given -5 nights and not much sun but it was even slower than expected, still should get a decent jump on ones planted in August. No sign of broad beans yet but I kinda expect they'll get there.

Offline Grub

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
Started capsicums and eggplants indoors. This year I am growing Bullshorn, Cubanelle, Poblano, Anaheim, Jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello, Choc Beauty and Marconi. For hots I'll be repotting the razzmatazz which looks like it will survive the winter again no problems and hopefully last year's Jalapenos too.
As for Eggplant I am growing Black Beauty, Red Square and Tsakoniki. Hopefully the Red Square will germinate this time.

Also sowed shiso (tiny saved seeds which are much smaller than the bought ones, must be a different variety, fingers crossed for germination), parsley, 2 types of lettuce and 2 types of spinach.

Transplanted out some mixed leaf lettuce and another row of peas in each trough.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »
I've started tomato seeds in our bay window in the kitchen, along with a couple of capsicums and basil.

Offline nickolya

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
That's a great selection of capsicums, Grub. Have you grown poblanos before? I keep finding Mexican recipes that use them (either fresh or dried) but I've never seen them for sale even at the farmer's market.

I just planted a new row of snowpeas (Yakumo and Oregon) and sugarsnap peas (Cascadia and Sugar Bon). I'm tempted to plant some more regular peas as well. My first crop is just finishing, and snacking on them fresh while I work in the garden is one of my favourite things in the world. I'm just a bit concerned that I might have left it a bit late because the weather is starting to warm up already; nights are still cold but it's a sunny 25°C today!
Productive gardening in the subtropics on heavy clay

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
On the weekend I started tomatoes, capsicums, and eggplants in a heated propagator. No sign of life yet.

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
I was thinking of starting some tomatoes & Chillies using my mobile hot house! ( my car parked in the sun, top of chest freezer at night ) But we are in a fruit fly area where I am along the Murray & it is too much heartache!  ^^11^^

Quick growers you get some, by January nope!  $##@

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
MT,
I got fruitfly in bendigo last summer. not many, but still a worry. they were around a few years ago, but then disappeared. here's hoping they stay away.

Have got a dozen or so different seedlots of lettuce in ziplocks in the fridge stratifying. Lots of Frank Morton's mixes and selections. Thought it important to refresh the seed given the barriers to re-importing them - and to make some new selections from the diversity.
The mixed lot of apricot seeds that have been annoying me in the spare room for the last 4 or so years got shoved into a ziplock bag of sterilised coir i had left over from a mushroom experiment, so they went into the fridge a month ago while i was interstate for work. they have all sprouted, so now wondering what to do with them...
Struggling with when to plan tomatoes - I'm away for most of september and october, and the garden won't get much/any attention. Risk  sowing seeds, or wait?...
T

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
Ha ha, you guys don't know what fruit fly problems are until you have grown in QLD!
28' latitude, heavy basalt soil, hot summers, frosty winters, nestled in a narrow valley on the great divide range...

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
Schmack_1
I can only imagine what growing up with fruit fly is like.......but I do know what it means for us now!!! It's not just a few!!! About year 2000 it started with baiting & traps, progressed to ag dept stripping yard in every house.

Now it's shocking, maggots in everything....heart breaking for keen fruit & veg growers. Go from growing anything to ripping out all friut trees & no nightshades etc. Theory is our region ended up overtaken with fruit fly because grey nomads returning from Queensland with fruit put it in their compost & ordinary bin & the rest is history!

I might start pumpkins early! Not much you can start early that isn't a nightshade! If I do grow them I'll have to give plants away to people in fruit fly free regions. Herbs!