Author Topic: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
Re: What did you sow or plant out today ... 2017
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
MT, how heart-breaking! Could you do something with floating row cover or fine screening material?
I'm needing to do some research into insect exclusion, my seed growing projects have expanded to the point where i need to isolate blocks of plants this summer - I've got some special lines of stuff that i need to keep isolated, and alternate-day caging is probably the way to go.
T

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
We're very lucky here in SA, no fruit flies. Up here in the mid north we are still getting blowflies; I don't think they got the memo it's winter.

Offline nko77

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »
have started seeds in a propagator and on a reptile heat mat seedlings have germinated

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
We're very lucky here in SA, no fruit flies. Up here in the mid north we are still getting blowflies; I don't think they got the memo it's winter.
I heard the 'First blowfly of Spring' yesterday.
T

Offline Grub

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »
The shiso seeds germinated already, I suppose as I pulled them right off the pods this isn't a surprise. They are only tiny mint family sized seeds though, the ones I purchased are similar to brassica seeds in size. I grew it from a cutting last year and I really liked how it tasted, the flowers and the bees loved it, so I'll grow a couple this year.

Lots of bees visiting the blueberry bush hoping for flowers. Each year it has budded later and later, first year it flowered basically late autumn leading to grateful bees over winter but a loss of all those early fruit to frost. It is acclimatising itself somehow. I thought I noticed some hoverflies about but they could have been wasps. I'm a bit ashamed I still have no flowers for the winter foragers. I'm going to start a bunch of annual flowers this weekend and see which make it. I'm also going to give germinating echinacea another try.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
Grub, I don't know, I'm thinking I'd swap my massive crop of winter oxalis for no winter flowering veg/fruit. The bees love it!!!! Bees aren't needed for my winter veg crops!
People who love to eat are always the best people! ~ Julia Childs

Offline nickolya

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Today I sowed my first batch of dwarf tomato seeds to experiment with. Still haven't decided which other varieties to buy seeds for, but I'm enjoying the feeling of anything being possible.

Dwarf Tomato Project varieties
Banksia Queen
Kangaroo Paw Brown
Kangaroo Paw Red
Maralinga
Rosella Crimson
Rosella Purple
Sturt Desert Pea
Waratah

Trying the Craig LeHouiiler dense planting method for the first time to try and save some space. He recommends using a peat-based potting medium, but because I don't like using peat I'm sticking with a good quality seed-raising mix and then topdressing with vermiculite. Hopefully if I watch the moisture really carefully and keep enough air circulation around the seedlings I'll be able to avoid the risk of damping off.

Lots of bees visiting the blueberry bush hoping for flowers. Each year it has budded later and later, first year it flowered basically late autumn leading to grateful bees over winter but a loss of all those early fruit to frost. It is acclimatising itself somehow. I thought I noticed some hoverflies about but they could have been wasps. I'm a bit ashamed I still have no flowers for the winter foragers. I'm going to start a bunch of annual flowers this weekend and see which make it. I'm also going to give germinating echinacea another try.

I recently pulled up a couple of Echinacea purpurea plants to free up some space. I've had them for a few years, and although they are reasonably popular with butterflies the bees around here (both native and honey) seem to bypass them in favour of things like salvias and basil. That said, our bees don't have to face the harsh winters like you get down south, so they might just be being fussy.
Productive gardening in the subtropics on heavy clay

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:34 AM »
Nice list of dwarf toms nickolya. Hope they do well for you.
I'm itching to get things into the ground. Day time temps are in the mid teens but nights still dipping below zero so it's still a little too early. Having said that, I did sow some chicory for the chickens in a seedling tray. Hoping to plant some out next week.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »
Finally succumbed and planted out some seedlings I got at the B store, some broccoli and lettuce.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Grub

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
I planted a bunch of different types of annual flowers (cornflowers, poppies, alyssum, naturtium) and trying again with the anaheim/marconi that haven't germianted, this time outdoors in the mini-greenhouse. Also sowed some kohlrabi even though it's a massive spacehog for a tiny amount of produce. For some reason I just need to grow it.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »
I sowed kohl rabi this year for the first time. Never had room for it before. Quite like the taste.

Thought I'd sow some early cucumbers and zucchinis, seeing as the days are getting a little warmer. Lebanese and apple cukes.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
Almost forgot, also planted tomato seedlings bought at our local Show. Sweet Bite and Mighty Red Improved.
Also sowed some "Early Extra Honey Sweet" corn.

Offline Troppo

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
Starting to plant out some tomato seeds for the coming spring and summer. Also sowed 50 of my F2 spag squash seeds and prepping some ground for my red sweetcorn project. Will be planting out some red lines in the next few weeks.
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Tropically adapted beefsteak tomatoes... Colourful snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash