Author Topic: What did you harvest today ... 2017  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
Re: What did you harvest today ... 2017
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »
Big bunches of mustard greens as part payment to my garden helper.

And dug up the clump of horseradish - i think i should have exercised a bit more circumspection in my planting -  i suspect i might need to dig up the whole bed, asparagus included, and remove all the horseradish... now to find recipes for processing.
T

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Picked the start of the current radish crop, very tasty. Also pulled the first turnip.

Offline gnol

• South west Melbourne.
    • My yard
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
Picked some chillies today.

Offline Cass

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
Beautiful colours gnol. Harvesting kale, leeks and spring onions here, and working our way through the butternut pumpkins.
Also picked all the summer kumquats and started making kumquat liqueur. Tree is absolutely loaded up with blossoms at the moment but it got a bit bashed around in the frosts last year (potted, third winter in this place) so doubtful we will get much.

Offline Grub

« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
What do you plan to do with them Gnol? I made Jalapeno Chilli Jam, but I still have a large number of green and red Jalapenos, Lemon Aji, Tabasco and other chillis. Maybe I'll just freeze some and dry some for powder.

The pickled ones I made a few months ago didn't turn out right, the jars started swelling after a few weeks so I threw them out not wanting to risk the biology inside the jar.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »
I use a very basic recipe for pickled chillies of vinegar, water, salt & a little sugar. Frost has finished off my zucchini finally, picked bag of last Eggplant & pulled & stripped cherry tomatoes. Have small ice cream container of green cherry tomatoes, will they ripen?
People who love to eat are always the best people! ~ Julia Childs

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
PICKLED CHILLIES, I posted suggested recipe & method here in "What's Cooking". Hope it helps!

Offline gnol

• South west Melbourne.
    • My yard
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »
What do you plan to do with them Gnol? I made Jalapeno Chilli Jam, but I still have a large number of green and red Jalapenos, Lemon Aji, Tabasco and other chillis. Maybe I'll just freeze some and dry some for powder.

The pickled ones I made a few months ago didn't turn out right, the jars started swelling after a few weeks so I threw them out not wanting to risk the biology inside the jar.

I just dry them out and powder them.

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
PICKLED CHILLIES, I posted suggested recipe & method here in "What's Cooking". Hope it helps!

I use almost identical recipe. Works well. I use apple cider vinegar and leave out the sugar as I find the apple cider vinegar plenty sweet enough. Looking forward to the current batch!
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2017, 06:04:04 PM »
The heavy frosts we had last week finished off all the capsicums. The oca and chufa is harvested and now for the yacon and arracacha in the next few days. At least I haven't got a lot to dig as I lost most of my plants in the floods of last winter.
Casterton, Victoria
Rare and unusual vegetable seed farm

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
Raymondo, yesterday I pickled the green cherry tomatoes I stripped off the plants I pulled out. It was similar recipe but had filling jars with a mix of dried spice & halved tomatoes & pouring over hot brine then processing. I pierced each tomato & put in hot brine, brought them to boil & packed in hot jars & poured over hot brine. Cooled jars & put in beer fridge. Original recipe said ready in 1 week! Let's see!!

Offline Whwoz

« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
lifted the 2 sweet potato plants I had in as a trial to see how they would go. roughly 4.5 kg of roots evenly spread between the two.   Some of the cuttings that I put into the cold frame several weeks ago appear to have struck also.

Woz
Woz

Trafalgar Vic

Offline Grub

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
Picked basil and chillis from balcony "microclimate"  ^^77 (basil under double protection of mini-greenhouse + balcony shelter).

Yep, it's almost July. Been through at least a dozen heavy frosts. Only the Aji Lemon actually looks like it might not make it through winter..
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline MurrayTart

• Murray River, NSW
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
I'm amazed at how well my Chillies & yellow banana capsicum are going though we've had a few decent frosts, but a healthy crop of oxalis has come up around them. My winter curse!!!Basil 👎🏼!! Picked capsicum & Chillies! And well we are stones throw from the Murray!

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Despite some decent frosts here some things are growing as if there's barely a winter happening. The rhubarb is flourishing whereas this time last year it was hiding under the mulch. The jonquills are all in flower as are most of the anemomes. Thankfully the fruit trees remain dormant. We have a number of covered grow spaces so we are still harvesting nice soft lettuce and silverbeet. The ones growing without protection are tough and mostly smaller. Miners' lettuce (aka winter purslane) has been very successful this year. It's a lovely addition to salads.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
I've been getting some nice turnips and radishes this week, and mangel wurzel is nearly ready. Looking forward to trying it.