Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Jade_86

What is this?
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »
Hi, new to the forum and also gardening. I turned 30 last year and all of a sudden I am right into knowing all about plants, my yard and improving it.  I have an orange tree in my back yard when I moved in 2 years ago it was healthy and yeilded lots of fruit. This year however we hardly got any fruit. I noticed the tree trunk is a bit misshappen.. unsure what this is? Also any tips to make it healthy again? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Troppo

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Looks to me to be where they grafted the scion (top part) to the root stock (bottom part). Perfectly normal. Pretty much all store bought fruit trees are grafted.

There are many reasons as to why the tree might not have cropped as usual, for example: low nutrients, to much or to little irrigation or rainfall, to hot or to cold at flowering. All these may cause pollen damage and flower sterility or immature fruit to not form or drop from the fruiting sites.

Pruning some of the older growth to encourage new growth will help to ensure plenty of fruiting sites for the following season.
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Early tomatoes... Purple snow/snap peas... Orange-fleshed spaghetti squash... Diploid potatoes