Author Topic: 2017 Garlic  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
2017 Garlic
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
placeholder for 2017 garlic plantings
T

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
Re: 2017 Garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
Any tricks for growing nice Garlics ?
mine make always small gloves

Roland

Offline Whwoz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
Roland,

Good soil with lots of organic matter, constant moisture levels, keep well weeded as they do not like competition, mulch well and plant at the correct time depending upon what group the garlic varieties you have belong too.  About 11 different groups with planting times that cover about 2 months here in OZ, basically from now until mid May for most varieties locally to Victoria.  You may find the info on http://www.australiangarlic.net.au/ of interest but you will need to adjust for your location.

Woz

Woz

Trafalgar Vic

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
Roland,

Good soil with lots of organic matter, constant moisture levels, keep well weeded as they do not like competition, mulch well and plant at the correct time depending upon what group the garlic varieties you have belong too.  About 11 different groups with planting times that cover about 2 months here in OZ, basically from now until mid May for most varieties locally to Victoria.  You may find the info on http://www.australiangarlic.net.au/ of interest but you will need to adjust for your location.

Woz

That explains
We have light clay
I have to plant in spring otherwise they rot easy during the winter
Maybe I will try for next season a small poly-tunnel so the soil stays dryer during the winter
Thanks Woz

Roland

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
have just ordered 5 varieties of creole garlic from tasmanian gormet garlic. Will be planted along with some big australian garlic from the supermarket in a few weeks. here's hoping.
T

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:23:37 PM »
Sowed most of my garlic around the autumn equinox as I usually do. A half dozen or so varieties, most are unnamed, just from friends who only remembered part of the original name, so I've called them things like Darren's Italian, Ken's Asian Red and so on. I've actually been growing Ken's Asian Red for 3 years or so. The original cloves were miserably small but it's done well for me and produces good sized heads now.
I have yet to find a garlic that keeps beyond autumn. As soon as the nights get cool (they're single digit now), it all starts to sprout. I suspect that I'll only be able store long term in a temperature controlled container.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline crazyk

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
Make sure the soil is very friable. They like soft soil.

I'll be planting mine this week. Had the bulbs conditioning in the fridge for the last 3 wks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:50 AM »
Mine are all up 20cm already, a bit earlier than I would normally expect but the weather over the past year has been erratic so that may have something to do with it. They will slow down growth over winter before starting again in spring.
Casterton, Victoria
Rare and unusual vegetable seed farm

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »
Think the seasons are shifting so its not appearing like autumn yet so holding off on garlic planting until the leaves on the trees start to turn.

Offline Troppo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
My garlic is up and away, growing nicely about 15cm tall at the moment. Unsure of what variety as I purchased these bulbs from Aldi a month back as they had nice size and nice purple blushes, the flavour was good also.
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline Grub

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »
I put mine in a few days ago. Cloves at local nursey weren't big, but I got them anyway. Could have just as well got some from the grocery store. But there's nothing wrong with smaller bulbs, packed with intense flavour. I am growing them in 3 x 40cm pots this year, about 6 per pot. I hope they aren't overcrowded. Got my shallots in a few weeks ago but they haven't sent up growth yet.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline crazyk

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
I've put mine in last week also. This is my second garlic season. Fingers crossed

Offline Abnerj

• East Gippsland, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
Anyone got any recommendations for good tasting & easy peeling varieties, to make picking & drying an easier process? Hardneck varities are generally easier to peel?
Last year I grew a few from Diggers- Duganski, Lokalen, Tassie Purple & Cream from memory. I've had a few green shoots appear in the beds again, must be a few I missed at harvesting time. It might be a bit early, but I'm leaving those in, plus planting a few extra cloves from those harvested.

Offline Cass

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
I was thinking I might pull the tomatoes and prep their bed for the garlic this afternoon after our houseguests left but it's been absolutely bucketing down so the garlic will have to wait another few days to get its start [emoji271].

Abnerj, I hope others can recommend some good varieties for you - I am too tight to pay the prices Diggers are charging for fancy garlic [emoji38] so just using my best heads from last year and a nice one from the farmers market. Which was the best of your varieties last year?

Do you mean easy to peel the cloves? With my garlic last year, I separated out the small heads, pre-peeled all these cloves and froze them. Peeling lots of small cloves is a bit of a hassle when you're cooking but quite a nice job to do in front of the TV. To me, all varieties seem pretty similar for ease of peeling but interested to hear from others.

Offline Abnerj

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »
I can understand that, I figure now I won't have to buy any garlic for a while & can just keep replanting from ones that grew well the previous season.
Certain heads were rather finicky to peel, definitely a job for in front of the TV!
Some cloves were rather small - but maybe I didn't apply enough fertiliser. The hardneck varieties were easier peeling & grew a little better, so I'll probably stick with those - we do get rather cold & wet winters here. Unfortunately they all got mixed up after harvest, so I don't know exactly which was which.

Offline Whwoz

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Have planted half a dozen varieties about a fortnight ago.  Already got plants up in three of them. 

Apparently when garlic is new to an area it can take a bit of time to acclimatise to the soil, so generally  the first years growth is not as good as the seed cloves, but they should get better with time.

Woz

Woz

Trafalgar Vic

Offline Cass

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
Got mine in this morning (in a black dress just before leaving for the family Easter  lunch, wouldn't recommend that).

Not sure about the new cloves I bought - they were  already sprouting vigorously (at least they weren't sprayed with a sprouting inhibitor I guess?) and didn't have that lovely strong smell that my other garlic does. We shall see. Also planted two small 'rounds' that didn't separate into cloves last year. I haven't had those before.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 08:08:31 PM »
Abnerj,
Galic peels much easier a few months after harvest. really fresh cloves cling to their skins.

Cass, those garlic rounds should produce decent heads. Head size is i think directly related to the the size of the clove planted - eat the small ones plant the big ones.
Mine arrived from tassie last week, but haven't had time to prep a bed and easter is loking too busy a week or two more shouldn't be too critical.
T

Offline Divey

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
I planted my Garlic about three weeks ago and they are thriving until yesterday when I noticed a pesky Sulphur Crested Cockatoo decided he/she would turn itself into whipper snipper and sliced the tops off about a dozen of them. Not too happy about that. However, I notice that the garlics that have had their greenery removed have shot up by about 6mm overnight.  ??++

Offline Abnerj

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
Abnerj,
Galic peels much easier a few months after harvest. really fresh cloves cling to their skins.

Head size is i think directly related to the the size of the clove planted - eat the small ones plant the big ones.

T

Good to know, I'll have to remember that, thanks.

Offline crazyk

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
I planted my Garlic about three weeks ago and they are thriving until yesterday when I noticed a pesky Sulphur Crested Cockatoo decided he/she would turn itself into whipper snipper and sliced the tops off about a dozen of them. Not too happy about that. However, I notice that the garlics that have had their greenery removed have shot up by about 6mm overnight.  ??++

How are your garlic recovering?

Offline Divey

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

How are your garlic recovering?

It is quite unbelievable how well they are recovering. We have a long narrow herb garden so I can only show you a few or there would be a whole pile of photographs.

Considering that is 6 days since that bloody cockatoo went crazy they are doing really well. They are as tall as the length of an iPhone.

Offline crazyk

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
They do look quite health and it doesn't appear that they've been affected by the pruning

Offline Grub

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
Onion family is very resilient to having its greens harvested. Less harmful now I would think than during spring when the bulbs will be forming and you want all the plant's energy going into that. Less likely birds would be interested in the late season growth than the tender shoots.

Here are my modest 3 pots. Can't spare a bed for garlic in my small garden (especially as they are not ready until early summer). I can monitor the pot's moisture level a lot easier than beds just by giving them a light tilt to feel their weight. I mistook the foliage flopping over due to inadequate watering last year for them being ready and got undersized (but perfectly usable) bulbs.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline Cass

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
Most of mine are now up - a week after planting. Go you good garlics go! [emoji271][emoji120]

Using the other half of the bed for potato onions but not sure I have enough seedlings. May start another tray tomorrow. And go and revive the potato onion thread now in search of some tips ....