Author Topic: 2017 Garlic  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
Re: 2017 Garlic
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
This is my True Garlic Seed (TGS) seedlings I grew from seed last year. I got the seed from Ivans New garlics. They are about the same size as my other hardneck varieties I'm growing. The question is will they bulb up for me being from a latitude of 45 ish? Is any body else playing with or interested in TGS ?
28' latitude, heavy basalt soil, hot summers, frosty winters, nestled in a narrow valley on the great divide range...

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »
This is my crop of garlic this year. About 60% Glen Large the rest are unknown hardnecks
28' latitude, heavy basalt soil, hot summers, frosty winters, nestled in a narrow valley on the great divide range...

Offline Whwoz

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »
Looking good Shmack_1.  Not playing with TGS yet, mainly because I do not have any, but will be trying to set a bit this year.

Woz
Woz

Trafalgar Vic

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
I'm going to let all these flower and try and get some seed. I also have duganski near them which is supposed to produce seed.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
Thats a serious crop of garlic! Ive thought of TGS, but too many other projects. Keep us informed.
t

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
I've had plans a few times now to try to produce TGS but I get distracted and forget to debulb the flower heads so the flowers just abort. Maybe this year! I did harvest some golden shallot seeds last season and have seedlings to plant out once they're big enough.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
Yeah, another allium breeding project...need a second life...

Offline Grub

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
Is it normal for softneck (I guess the name implies?) to flop over near harvest time? Mine are all pretty much prostrate, but they haven't dried out much yet. The pots are well watered.

I'm wondering if I should stop watering and let them dry out instead.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 05:45:06 AM »
Yes, that is normal for softnecks. It should be fine to stop watering them now.
Casterton, Victoria
Rare and unusual vegetable seed farm

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
Just harvesting my garlic. Since my place gets so wet and boggy for months each winter/spring I have been working on an epigenically selected garlic (selected from Monaro Purple) to cope with very wet conditions as well as heavy weed pressure, and produce well. Finally I am at the stage where I have asked another garlic grower to grow out some bulbs for me next season to make sure it grows well in the same conditions on his property.
It looks like the parent but a bit milder in flavour, and you can't kill it with the worst conditions, so far. it has to be able to cope with weeds (which destroyed all my other varieties) because it is while my place is flooded that the weeds start growing and you can't weed the crop. I didn't even try to weed this year to give it a good test.

If it goes well for him and he is pleased with it I will offer it to the public (and ossi pledged if I am allowed, might be a bit difficult if it is seen as too close to the parent) for the 2019 season. I call it 'Easy Gro Monaro'.

Casterton, Victoria

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
good one, rowan. not sure about the ossi lsting - check with them.
Wow, that is very weedy!  9999 [size=78%]how do you find the garlic in there? [/size]
Grub, I've heard that as soon as garlic and onions flop over it is time to harvest, no more nutrients translocate. You might as well pull it i reckon, leaving it in the ground to dry risks ran and spoiling of the wrappers, with shorter shelf life.

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 04:43:29 AM »
Yes, it is hard to find the garlic, and even harder harvesting it, lol
Casterton, Victoria

Offline Grub

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
Definitely my best garlic harvest yet (from 3 medium pots). Keeping in mind the cloves from the bulbs I bought last autumn weren't very big at all. Two large bulbs, two small ones, the rest medium sized.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
Sounds like my kind of garlic Rowan. I'd be interested in growing it once its available to the public.

Nice harvest there Grub. I'd be happy with that

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »
Only an okay harvest this season. Had 8 varieties in but only 6 produced anything worth keeping. They were:

Ken's Asian Red - got the original at a farmers' market a few years ago
Darren's Italian - from a friend
Shandong and Xian = both from Diggers
Early Purple - can't remember where I got the originals from
Heathcote - from Templeton (in its second year but still smallish)

I've set aside the biggest heads of each for next season.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
Some big shop-bought cloves gave a decent early crop, but the 7 or 8 varieties i got from tassie have big tops, but smallish bulbs. Didnt think i over fed them . hmmm. Still waiting for them to finish off, should be in the next week or so.
T