Author Topic: Bulbs that are quick multipliers  (Read 438 times)

Offline Cass

Bulbs that are quick multipliers
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:35:55 AM »
If I wanted to buy a few bulbs (corms, tubers etc) this year, with the idea of gradually filling out the bed over the next few years as they multiply, what would you recommend?

Climate: cold frosty winters with regular temps of -3 overnight but rarely much colder than that, summer weather similar to Melbourne (hot and dry but not insane). Narcissus do very well here.

Please also let me know if they are likely to be 'weedy' - I have been trying to remove some arum lilies from a bed since we moved here and it is an impossible task

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
Re: Bulbs that are quick multipliers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:55:29 AM »
Sounds as most species bulbs and tubers will do well for you
For shady area's maybe Cyclamen , see picture below
For tulip species , fertiliser is important also taking out the seed-pods after flowering
One important lesson
The faster they multiply , the easier they take over your garden
If you are on Facebook  visit my bulb-group (address under this post)
You can learn there a lot

Roland

Offline penny

• Near Beaufort, Western Victoria
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Nerines and Valottas - red, pink and and oranges - multiply fast, don't become a problem. For sunny spots.

Offline Cass

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
Thank you both!

Penny, I like the look of the Valottas and will keep an eye out for them.

Roland, have joined your bulb group on FB, good timing as lots are blooming in the northern hemisphere right now [emoji3]

Re: tulips, from what I have read 'species tulips' such as these http://www.vogelvry.com.au/tulip-species/ will naturalise well in the garden but the flashy hybrid tulips are quite tricky to keep going year to year, let alone multiply them. Is that your experience?

Offline dojustdat

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »
If I wanted to buy a few bulbs (corms, tubers etc) this year, with the idea of gradually filling out the bed over the next few years as they multiply, what would you recommend?

Climate: cold frosty winters with regular temps of -3 overnight but rarely much colder than that, summer weather similar to Melbourne (hot and dry but not insane). Narcissus do very well here.

Please also let me know if they are likely to be 'weedy' - I have been trying to remove some arum lilies from a bed since we moved here and it is an impossible task [emoji35]
Try chinese artichokes or rakkyo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 06:40:53 AM »
flashy hybrid tulips are quite tricky to keep going year to year, let alone multiply them. Is that your experience?

Hi Cass

I explained this before
Large tulips are easy not tricky
They just need more energy to flower
So the solution is easy
Enough food (fertiliser) , enough water to let the food reach 30 cm deep where the roots are
Take out the flower after flowering so they can't set seed (lost energy) and let the leaves die down completely
DON'T BUY HALF DEAD BULBS  ^^77

Roland

Offline Cass

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
Roland I'm sorry I never replied to thank you for your advice but I read it and have been following it!

Planted my tulips a while back - some in a huge pot and some in the ground, with plenty of fertiliser - and patiently waiting for them to emerge.

Bought a huge box of 'end of season' bulbs on clearance out of impulse too, ignoring your excellent advice (even though I had already filled my spots with chosen bulbs, making more work for myself [emoji53]). About 15 different types and many were already sprouting in a way that made me think they wouldn't be much good. Planted them and a few weeks later most are up and looking great. Maybe they won't have the best flowers this year but they seem to be unkillable [emoji3]

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Hi Cass

Maybe you are lucky
Not all varieties are so difficult
I hope you didn't use peat-based potting mixture because many bulbs or tubers don't like that
Of-course this is logic too because in the nature you will hardly fund bulbs in peat area's
There is a reason for that
Acid and wet  $##@
Hope they grow well for you
If you want to learn something about bulbs just visit my Facebook group

Roland

Roland

Offline Cass

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Thanks Roland, I really enjoy your FB group. And thanks for the tip re: potting mix too - I wouldn't have thought of that.