Author Topic: Potting native tube stock before planting out?  (Read 317 times)

Offline radio raheem

Potting native tube stock before planting out?
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »
Hi, I'm new here and was hoping for some (any) advice...

I have a variety of native tube stock on their way to me in the post, but my garden won't be ready for planting them out for nearly a year. I want to pot them in the meantime and plant them out next year - is this advisable?

Should I just use an off the shelf native potting mix, make my own native potting mix (1/5 mushroom compost, 1/5 garden soil, 3/5 sand + native fertiliser), or something else?

I would hope the plants will come on a bit over the next year and transplant happily to the garden next year - anyone got any good tips?

Thanks heaps in advance!

Offline radio raheem

Re: Potting native tube stock before planting out?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
PS - I live in Melbourne, VIC, if that help...

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
RR,
welcome.
Potting on will work, but you need to be a bit careful. it depends a bit on what species you have. If the grow too well in the new pots, they can get potbound, with the roots coiling in the bottom of the pot, which can lead to future health and stability issues.
You will need to keep them alive over a melbourne summer, and pots can require watering every day, or more often, in summer.
definetely use a native formulation of fertiliser. your mix sounds ok, bt depends a bit on the sort of sand and soil- need to see it in my hand to make a sure call, but lots of natives are tough as well.

The general rule is to prepare ground, then plant, rather than the way you are doing it.. In reveg work we recommended direct planting of small plants rather than large ones, since they catch up after a few years, and cost less, if you prep properly.
hope this helps,
T.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »
I get lots of tube stock and I always pot up and depending on how much they grow will plant when they get big enough in a 6inch pot. I find that this gives me better survival rate and they might survive the rabbits.