Author Topic: New fruit trees  (Read 117 times)

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
New fruit trees
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Planted a Moorpark apricot and a Goldmine nectarine yesterday. Actually replanted several plants so I could plant the nectarine, leaving space for another fruit tree in front of our chook yard.

Offline Cass

Re: New fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
Nice work. I planted a Moorpark last year - hopefully not too long until fruit. Planning to get a pomegranate this season, and possibly a multi-graft of some sort to espalier on our back (north facing) fence. At the end of last season I thought I had exhausted our garden's fruit tree potential - but recently had an epiphany about holding on to existing ornamental trees we don't particular like. Yes, it was a good idea in the beginning while the new trees were establishing, but there is now no reason to keep the ugly ones.that opens up room for another few fruit trees - maybe some of those column apple trees along the fence. Exiting! 

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
My wife and I can't agree on what tree to plant, she wants another nectarine, I'd like a peach or another fig. Need to find an agreed variety, lol.

Offline Cass

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
Lol. What do you do with the fruit? Do you preserve it at all or just eat fresh?

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
We haven't had to make that decision yet. We've only been here since October, and there was only one very early apricot when we moved in. So it will be a few years before they all bear fruit. However I have tried to plant so the fruit doesn't overlap too much. What we don't eat or share with the neighbours, we'll preserve.
Emperor mandarine, Valencia orange, 2 eureka lemons (don't ask), 1 passionfruit vine, dwarf pomegranate, santa rosa plum, satsuma plum, Spanish dessert fig, goldmine nectarine, and moorpark apricot.
I think we are agreed on a navel orange for the last one.