Author Topic: Chicken system  (Read 103 times)

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
Chicken system
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
So I see no one has posted in this thread for a while, I thought I would resurrect it.
This is my current chicken system I am experimenting with mobile coop , electric poultry fence . I start with weeds , put the girls in for a couple of months and then broadcast seed with a light mulching of grass hay. No tilling. Working well so far. Second pic is spelt using this method (wallabies have a had a good chew on it to)
28' latitude, heavy basalt soil, hot summers, frosty winters, nestled in a narrow valley on the great divide range...

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
Re: Chicken system
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
more info, shmack.
the house is mobile, how many chooks? extra feed? eggs or meat? what size in the area of mulch?

I'm a bit interested - tho my plot is way smaller. housebound atm with manflu, so binge watching river cottage australia...
t

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
Ah yes river cottage Aus, very inspiring!
Ok so there are 30 chooks, and Henry a bantam Sussex rooster, the smallest bird in there! He has the best nature of any rooster I have known tho. The fencing comes in 50m lengths and I make it square so about 12.5x12.5m, so about 156m2 if my maths is right. Yes I supplement with grain, and scatter it where I want them to focus. I was gearing it for egg production and selling the eggs, but organic grain is very expensive! So now I'm going to just use them for ground prep and fertility, and any eggs are a bonus. I'm going to try and grow all there feed within the system. they can live mostly on reject veg and I will grow lots of stuff for them. Chooks will thrive on lots of veg, they only need a high protein diet when you want lots of eggs.. In one plot where I had them I was chucking a lot of reject veg and when I moved them it turned into a mini food forest! I had tomatoes, zucs, sunflowers, barley, corn, all sorts of things come up! I picked a lot of veg for no work out of it. So that gave me the idea to broadcast a broad mix of seed after I move them and see what comes up?
28' latitude, heavy basalt soil, hot summers, frosty winters, nestled in a narrow valley on the great divide range...

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
sounds like a system...been googling chook tractors, but i don't think i actually have enough downtime on  my beds for chooks. i replant almost immediately after removing previous crop, and with only about 40 sq metres of beds, doesn't seem enough.
t

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:33:26 PM »
Good to see your system at work, Shmack_1.
I've gone the more traditional path, with a fenced off area in the back corner of our yard and a chook house. The position means both neighbours can throw scraps over the fence (we live on a corner block). Just putting the finishing touches to the "residence" at the moment.
With the way our veggie beds are set up (all raised beds), your excellent idea wouldn't work in our yard. However, our chooks will get scraps, as well as a lot of the leftovers from the veggie beds after harvesting. Whatever they can't or won't eat will continue to go into the compost bins, along with their poop scraped up from the chook yard. I plan to set up one more raised bed in front of the chook yard to grow some greens for them as well, hopefully keeping the need for pellets to a minimum.

Offline Shmack_1

• Freestone Qld
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:47:48 AM »
When I still lived in town I had a little tractor that I made that fit neatly on top of the beds. It held about 2-3 chickens. It worked great. Once they were finished I just slid it on to the next part of the bed or a new one. I used to use it on the lawn out the front to. I can still see the difference in the lawn were they had and hadn't been today.