Author Topic: Aussie tomato Season 2017-18  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Grub

Re: Aussie tomato Season 2017-18
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 12:55:15 AM »
More germinated outside, but I already started a second batch indoors on the heat mat. All have germinated within a week. So yeah... time saved, not so much. I have spares now to give away though.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »
I bought one of those little greenhouses with the plastic cover, to try and grow some seedlings. Transferred the seeds and seedlings from the kitchen windowsill, but when I looked later in the day all but one had wilted/died.
Lesson learned, and back to the start.

Offline Grub

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
I bought one of those little greenhouses with the plastic cover, to try and grow some seedlings. Transferred the seeds and seedlings from the kitchen windowsill, but when I looked later in the day all but one had wilted/died.
Lesson learned, and back to the start.

This is my experience too. Small seedlings (sprouts really) that have germinated in the moist, warm environment of a propagator wilt pretty quickly if you put them in the direct sun. Transition them to a window sill on an overcast day or on a day you can keep an eye on them - they need a few days to harden off. Some jiffy pellets/medium dry out much faster than others (coco-coir much worse than peat or seedling mix) and of course, the smaller the volume the faster it will dry out.

I want to try transferring them to the window as soon as they break the surface and the cotyledons haven't opened. Bear in mind it can be much warmer in early spring in front of a sunny window than it is outside, and probably less humid if anything.

Offline Cass

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
After a bit of thinking, I've decided not to sow my tomatoes until I get back from our holiday in mid October. Didn't want someone else to have to look after them.

Pots are ready to sow the day I get back, so I'll still have them in 4 weeks before Cup Day. So I'll plant out a few weeks later than last year but I think it will be ok. Can always buy a few advanced seedlings from Bunnings if I'm getting impatient.

Offline nko77

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
i went to local  market and there was a seller selling greek tomatoes and ephesus tomatoes so i bought as iv never grown these types before

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk

Offline Grub

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
Sticking them in full sun uncovered the moment they break the surface works well (as long as the medium doesn't dry out). Will be doing this in future.

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
I'll be sowing some tomorrow and the rest on Tuesday.

The list so far:

Paste types:
Opalka
Prue
Ropreco Paste

Cherries:
Black Cherry
Green Doctors Frosted
Pink Bumblebee
Sungold
Sunrise Bumblebee
Sweet Million

Larger types
Burnley Bounty
Burracker's Favorite
Earl of Edgecombe
Grub's Mystery Green
Jaune Flammée
Pink Boar
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Troppo

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
Given the high temps that we are currently getting in SW-Qld this early I've decided to cut back on my planting this season. Given we have had close to 10 months of zero rainfall I want to save as much water for my sweetcorn and spag squash breeding projects. Hoping to finally get a few tomato crosses done this season. Big shout out to Ray for sending me some varieties.

Currently have growing:
College Challenger
Eva Purple Ball
Cherokee Purple
White Wonder
Galina Yellow Cherry
Snow White
Opalka Paste
And will look to plant Ropreco Paste this week.
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
Ray, lots of nice colors there, had to google Sweet Million and it says that its a hybrid, so I guess not for seed saving.

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
Ray, lots of nice colors there, had to google Sweet Million and it says that its a hybrid, so I guess not for seed saving.

Yes. I'm growing two hybrids this season - Sungold and Sweet Million. I'll save seeds from both. I did this with Sungold a good number of years ago and got a nice mix of tasty cherries, mostly red but a few orange as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what Sweet Million produces.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:59 AM »
In Abbruzzo at the moment, been checking out the toms available in the supermarkets. Lots of Coer du bue, Sicilian longs that we would call Roma, and hybrid cherries, in plastic trays. The last lot I bought were as bad as Melbourne supermarket tomatoes in July :(. There are lots of green tomatoes as in unripe, for sale in most places too. Given the pride they exhibit, and the crazy diversity of range in cheeses and and preserved pig, I'm surprised at the lack of diversity in the veggies.

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »
In Abbruzzo at the moment, been checking out the toms available in the supermarkets. Lots of Coer du bue, Sicilian longs that we would call Roma, and hybrid cherries, in plastic trays. The last lot I bought were as bad as Melbourne supermarket tomatoes in July :(. There are lots of green tomatoes as in unripe, for sale in most places too. Given the pride they exhibit, and the crazy diversity of range in cheeses and and preserved pig, I'm surprised at the lack of diversity in the veggies.

Not sure about Italy but in France the interesting stuff was in the many markets and diversity tended to be regional. By that I mean each region offered a limited number of things but this changed from region to region: one type of pumpkin here, another there.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »
Hoping to get a bit more time to explore some local markets over the coming weeks.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 05:02:57 PM »
Is anyone growing Lucky Cross this season and wouldnt mind saving some seed.

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
My season is not off to a good start. I started many seedlings in my shed under lights. They were looking pretty good so I then put them outside in a sunny spot on my deck. They have not done well since moving outside. I've lost numerous seedlings all together and the survivors are not looking too healthy. I dont think our overly damp cool weather has helped at all but I have much to learn...

I have been reading about "hardening off" and will try to implement some of those strategies next year. It sounds like it might be hard to do while working full time...

So it's pretty much a fresh start for me this season. I'll be sowing seeds outside over the coming days.

I have plenty of volunteers popping up from compost though obviously they could be any varieties so I'm not too keen on growing them out. There is a healthy looking potato leafed volunteer I have my eye on though...

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Is anyone growing Lucky Cross this season and wouldnt mind saving some seed.
I'll check my seeds next week when I get back home and let you know.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
Thanks Ray, fingers crossed.

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Thanks Ray, fingers crossed.

Sorry gardenaholic, no luck I’m afraid. Hopefully someone else will have seeds.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Thanks Ray it was worth a try.

Offline Grub

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »
Seem to be well behind last year on all nightshade family. I think the transplanting / hardening off issues set a lot of plants back.

I've planted out all the garden varieties though, just not the potted ones except for two Florida F1.

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
Thanks Ray it was worth a try.

Any other bi-colours take your fancy? I have seeds of Burracker’s Favorite which is pretty decent.

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
Thanks Ray, will keep that in mind for next season. Have mine all ready to go. Doing my usual potato leaf varieties that I particularly like as well as revisiting the Dwarf varieties from the Southern Hemisphere experiment. I always plant my toms out Cup day in Victoria. Seems to be the best for me.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »
So far the Mighty Red Improved and Sweet Bite seedlings I planted are growing well, and the Black Russian and Cherokee Purple seedlings are coming on strong. Also have a Black Cherry coming up now.

Offline geoffrey44

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
That Sungold F1 seedling ( last posted 15 August ) has progressed somewhat... Here is how it is showing today...at nearly 2 metres in height and loaded with flowers and young fruit.

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
That Sungold F1 seedling ( last posted 15 August ) has progressed somewhat... Here is how it is showing today...at nearly 2 metres in height and loaded with flowers and young fruit.

Looking good Geoff! Mine has only just started to flower in the past week or so.