Author Topic: Chillies, Capsicums (Peppers) and Eggplants 2017/2018  (Read 540 times)

Offline Grub

Chillies, Capsicums (Peppers) and Eggplants 2017/2018
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:43:16 PM »
Thought I'd start us off as I have tried to get mine started mid August with mixed success.

This year I am growing Bullshorn, Cubabelle, Poblano, Anaheim, Jalapeno, Jimmy Nardello, Choc Beauty and Marconi.

Poblano doesn't look like it's going to germinate, seeds might be too old. I did save seeds in autumn but I am not sure where I put them. Marconi aren't germinating either even though I have 5 planted with 3 seeds each, I am wondering if I got dud seeds from eBay. The rest I have at least one germinated and in many cases two or more in case I want to grow multiple plants (a definite for last year's favourites, Anaheim and Bullshorn). They're leggy though (heatmat + window sill) but should be fine after potting up.

Last year's Jalapenos are very much alive and I even think I can see new shoots coming out of the old leaf nodes so I probably didn't even need to germinate new ones. I'll give them bigger pots this year or even a place in the raised beds. All the other hot chillis are looking like they will survive winter except for the lemon Aji.

As for eggplants I am growing just Black Beauty and Tsakoniki. I also sowed the Red Square seeds which didn't germinate last year and so far nothing, although I think I can see a sprout beneath the jiffy surface. Might just be a seed edge though playing tricks on my eyes as it's yet to emerge in two days. Fingers crossed!
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
Re: Chillies, Capsicums (Peppers) and Eggplants 2017/2018
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Growing Anaheim, and my own red and orange chillies (got a red from a packet of Bulgarian Carrot and subsequent years have had both red and orange plants). In capsicums it will be California Wonder and Horizon.
Eggplants same as you Grub, Black Beauty and Tsakoniki. Might grow Snowy again this season if I can find my seeds. Lovely eggplant.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
I've only planted habanero and jalapeno, but neither have popped up yet; fingers crossed.

Offline Cass

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
Dusting off ready to try again with my chillis this year. Didn't quite get the germination right early enough last season. Got the Hungarian Wax seeds from last year and a stack of unnamed varieties (eg long red hot) from our local seed swap. Would love to make some pickled chillis this year and smoke some for powder too, if the harvest is big enough.

Will grow the Cubanelle peppers again.

No eggplant as my husband is allergic. Just to eggplant. Odd allergy, but convenient from a cooking perspective.

Will do all peppers in pots again this year as they were the only ones that seemed to prefer it to the raised beds.

Sowing seeds tonight.

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
All my peppers will be in pots this year.

New varieties to me:
Marconi Red
Purple Beauty Caps
Aji Pineapple
Trinidad Perfume (yet to sprout)
Trinidad Seasoning (yet to sprout)

Overwintered Plants:
Golden Californian Wonder Caps
Anaheim
Big Jim
Bishops Crown
Rocoto Manzano
+ a few plants that have lost their labels and I can't remember what they are...

Offline Grub

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
I was looking at Big Jim yesterday at Boondie, I am wondering how different it is from Marconi? None of my Marconi sprouted, so I'm going to query the seller on eBay about the age of these seeds.

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
I was looking at Big Jim yesterday at Boondie, I am wondering how different it is from Marconi? None of my Marconi sprouted, so I'm going to query the seller on eBay about the age of these seeds.

While I have not grown Marconi before Big Jim does have a little heat which I'm not expecting from Marconi. I put Big Jim similar to Anaheim. Big Jim is more productive for me.

I also got my Marconi seeds from ebay (seller willowbrook5) and 2 of 3 seeds planted germinated.

Offline geoffrey44

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
No heat at all in any of the Marconi varieties...Elongated cone shaped and not so different in flavour to the Cubanelles but not as thick skinned...Generally trouble free growing and well worth while pursuing.

Offline Grub

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
Most of the stuff on my balcony has overwintered, I never cut any of them back though, just let the frost hit them, drop all their leaves (and fruit, oops, wasted some good drying/pickling opportunity there) - whereas the ones I cut back and put in the greenhouse up there died pretty quickly.

Now they've survived winter though and I see new growth ready to shoot out from old leaf nodes when would be a good time to cut them back? When they break dormancy (bearing in mind we still have at least 4 weeks of decent frosts left) or sooner?

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
Most of the stuff on my balcony has overwintered, I never cut any of them back though, just let the frost hit them, drop all their leaves (and fruit, oops, wasted some good drying/pickling opportunity there) - whereas the ones I cut back and put in the greenhouse up there died pretty quickly.

Now they've survived winter though and I see new growth ready to shoot out from old leaf nodes when would be a good time to cut them back? When they break dormancy (bearing in mind we still have at least 4 weeks of decent frosts left) or sooner?

So it would seem that the older growth offered some kind of protection. I had a rose geranium that I left to frost off over winter. The stems near the ground stayed alive and would reshoot in spring. I didn't prune off the dead growth until the risk of frost had virtually disappeared, early November here. The new growth had already begun and it would take off quickly after pruning.
Perhaps wait a while to prune.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:35 AM »
Never had luck growing capsicums from seed in the past, so was very excited when one popped up in the kitchen window. A generic one from a DT Browns packet, so I'm still hopeful for the Golden Wonders next to it.

Offline Grub

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:17 AM »
Newer growth is always the first to get damaged by frost but anything I leave out in the garden is usually dead to the bottom of the "trunk" by the first couple of heavy frosts. I read jalapenos are hard to overwinter, maybe they don't "hibernate" well when cut back for dormancy but will stand up to losing their tips and leaves. A lot of this overwintering stuff is from the states where they get snows and temps that make frosty Canberra seem mild so it could also be that. I pruned them a few days ago and covered in black fleece. I can already see the shoots getting bigger.

The balcony offers probably 3 or 4 degrees of frost protection, plus the fleece, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I'll either give them bigger pots this year or even put them in the raised beds.

Geoffrey has kindly sent me a few new varieties so hopefully I can get those to germinate.

Offline geoffrey44

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:14:04 AM »
Grub did I read somewhere that you are using those coir jiffies...I stopped using them some years ago  as it seemed to me that they were actually hindering germination and growth. The older peatmoss numbers were infinitely superior but they are now almost impossible to find.
These days I use a very fine seed raising mix and blend it 1 in 10 with vermiculite... seems to do the trick

Offline Grub

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
You can get the smaller peat ones at Bunnings and the larger ones from Mr Forthergill's but they are prohibitively expensive that way. I can get the "Forestry" 52mm ones from eBay but expanded they'd almost be touching the roof of the 8x8 jiffy greenhouse kit.

Things definitely grow very, very slowly in coir even with a little synthetic liquid fertiliser but I ordered heaps last year so I may as well use them. Could also be my window, it's NW facing so it's not getting the hours of sun that N or NE would, which is why I'm trying to get as much stuff to germinate in the greenhouse outside despite our regular August and September -5 nights.

Also need to save more seeds end of season as I'm finding capsicum seeds don't last as long as tomato seeds - some old ones do germinate after weeks and weeks but you can't tell those from the duds before it's too late.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Well here on the other side of the world in Normandy it is harvesting time
Picked for a friend about 50 kilo in about 100 varieties Sweet peppers she wanted to sell on the market
Hope I don't make you to jealous

Roland

Offline Raymondo

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
Great range of colours Roland.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
I bought in Russia 100+ varieties to see what comes out and how the taste is
Horrible summer here , very dry but not hot so taste isn't very good
Hope later the season it gets better
We finally had serious rain last week since 3 months
Had almost to stop watering the plants because the pond (with fish) was drying up
Watering is back to normal but many fruits where aborted or got nose rot
Here one of the other crates

Roland

Offline Cass

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Beautiful Roland, I am a little bit jealous!

Any of your new varieties a stand out so far, despite the poor season?

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
A few nice ones
Found this one in-between Capsicum Big Papa (1305)
A nice short form
Looks good as a stuffer
Last picture the real Capsicum Big Papa (There is a Russian Big Daddy which is different)
Will post in a few week when I have more time some more pictures

Roland

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Killing Sweet peppers
Does anybody have a better system to kill them
It's very time consuming
Found the tiny tool to make melon-balls very useful to take out sometimes the placenta
More difficult with a knife most of the time

Roland

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
Roland what is the name of the large purple pepper in the picture, and what type is it.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
Roland what is the name of the large purple pepper in the picture, and what type is it.

Which large purple one do you mean

Roland

Offline Grub

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

Looks like purple beauty? I grew last year - prolific, medium sized bells.

Offline bulborum

• Normandy, France.
    • English Bulb Forum
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
Purple Beauty is one of the 5 or 6 purple ones I have this year
Bad thing from most I just have pictures as a ripe (dark red) fruit
Here most of the dark ones I have
Names under pictures

Roland