Author Topic: Saving seeds  (Read 220 times)

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
Saving seeds
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
In the past, I've saved seeds and kept them in a dark cupboard, when living in Adelaide. Now, living in the mid north with a warmer, drier climate, I thought I would follow something I read on the net, and I put saved seeds into envelopes in a coffee jar with a lid seal, and put it in the fridge with silica packs. So far this spring, not one that I have sown has popped up.
Is the fridge idea not a good one?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Troppo

Re: Saving seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
I'm in South-West Qld and I keep all my seed in paper envelopes in a cardboard box in a cupboard. I usually get about 4-5 years of storage before germination starts to get effected
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Thanks, Troppo.
I'll persevere with the seeds, and won't use the fridge in future I think.

Offline Troppo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »
Long term storage of breeding lines I use a small bar fridge. But seed I intent to grow the following year in the veg patch I never cold store. At the most they are only ever 6 months old and they should handle being stored in a cupboard. Main thing is to make sure they are dry so they don't go mouldy
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:10 AM »
I dry them good. Put into ziplock bags, sometimes two, then into sistema snap on lidded plastic boxes, then bar fridge.
Need to make sure they are really good and dry.. Carol Deppe has some good tests for dryness. I think we (me) overthink this stuff a bit. Seeds need to last until next year in the wild, so shouldn't be too hard for short term storage.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
Thanks Troppo and Templeton.

Offline Grub

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:03:03 PM »
I keep them in zip lock bags in a shoebox in my garage mostly, although sometimes I leave them out in warmer places of the house. I would like to go to a more air tight solution and maybe even in the fridge but I've heard moving them in and out often can lead to condensation problems.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 06:58:42 AM »
I did read that about potential condensation, that's why I put the silica gel packs in with them. However, all seeds are now stored in the bottom of the laundry cupboard.
I will persevere with the seeds I saved from last summer, and report on the results.

Offline penny

• Near Beaufort, Western Victoria
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Some seeds will go through a dormancy at very low temps. Takes time for them to wake up.

Offline pinefamily

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:28:27 PM »
Hopefully that's the case with these seeds. I quite liked the Armenian cucumbers, a milder taste that went well in a tossed salad.