Author Topic: New veggie for this season  (Read 322 times)

Offline gardenaholic

New veggie for this season
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »
Each year I like to try something that I have never grown before. Last year I tried growing Rosella in Victoria. I did have success with the plant but got very tiny flowers, so am trying again this year but have grown the seed earlier to try to give me a longer growing season. This season I am trying growing Soybeans. Dont know much about growing them. Has anyone tried growing them and can tell me about different varieties. I will see how they go. Love trying new things. Is anyone else trying something new.

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
Re: New veggie for this season
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
Trying spaghetti squash for the first time this year, and not a new vegetable but new variety: pickling cucumbers.

Offline Grub

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
Really wanted to try cape gooseberry but the seeds I got from eBay were duds. Trying crookneck squash this year, the plant didn't really work last year and the one squash I got tasted really bad.
Cool region, Canberra. Courtyard and balcony gardener.
http://actgarden.blogspot.com/

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
Grew soybeans a few years back. Easy crop to grow I found though the green vegetable bug did seem rather fond of them. I picked the beans once the pods had filled and prepared them edamame style. They were delicious.
Not a new veg but I am trying a few new to me cultivars of orach this year. I’m especially looking forward to one called Magenta Magic.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Fin

• Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
This year was my first year growing proper peas!  Sounds bizarre as a first try crop but I always though I got more value from snow or sugar snap peas, but those fresh peas were to die for.  Just hard to get a decent sized crop as they were eaten right off the bush :-)

I do want to try soy beans for edame but haven't yet gotten around to buying my new seeds for this year - may have to be next year!

Offline donnyboy

• Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
I'm trying spaghetti squash for the first time this season. Also trying runner beans...

I'm also trying a few new varieties of tomato, peppers, eggplant, beetroot, bush beans and zucchini....

Offline pinefamily

• Mid North SA; warm temperate climate
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
I've planted new varieties of zucchini (golden arch crookneck and Lebanese) and pumpkin (Jack Be Little and Sweet Dumpling). And of course a couple of new varieties of tomatoes.

Offline AllyH

• Mulgrave, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
Not a new veg but I am trying a few new to me cultivars of orach this year. I’m especially looking forward to one called Magenta Magic.
How long does Orach seed last, Ray?  I've got some Magenta Magic seed and was going to try and fine room for it this year, but I've had it a couple of years (and some other varieties too I think).

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »
I have grown Orach before if you let it seed it will come up the following season with gusto, nice plant to grow.

Offline Cass

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »
I'm trying Blue Mini popcorn this year. I've never grown any kind of corn before so looking forward to it. From what I've heard the most important thing is to plant in a block to improve pollination.

Trying new varieties of many things including zucchini (costata), cucumber (crystal Apple),
pumpkin (mystery mix from the eBay seller Roland recommended) and many tomatoes.

Interested in growing soybeans in future seasons - please report on how it goes [emoji846]

Offline Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, N.S.W.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
How long does Orach seed last, Ray?  I've got some Magenta Magic seed and was going to try and fine room for it this year, but I've had it a couple of years (and some other varieties too I think).
Supposedly 5 years so it’s worth having a go.
Ray, gardening on an old flood plain with clay loam from 30 to 60 cm deep over clay.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
Kajari melon is my only new named variety this year, (thanks AllyH). mind you, most of my vege patch is breeding trials and crosses, so nearly everything is 'new'.
T

Offline gardenaholic

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
T I had to google that one couldnt even find a seed source for it here in Oz, hope you can save some seeds, and remember your friends xxoxx