Author Topic: Saving and planting strawberry seed  (Read 66 times)

Offline Mukluk

Saving and planting strawberry seed
« on: December 02, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
I have grown strawberries from seed a few times, I normally get some plants but it has always been a bit hit and miss.

This year I have made some strawberry crosses, some should prove interesting, so I would like to know the best way to save the seed and plant it to get the highest germination possible.  The strawberries are bagged and  not ripe yet so I have a bit of time up my sleeve.  Can someone please offer some tips?

Offline Troppo

Re: Saving and planting strawberry seed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
I’ve always just picked ripe fruit and let it dry completely. Then I lightly rub the dried fruit and the seeds fall away. I get pretty poor germination even with trying things like cold storage for a period of time or planting straight away.

What crosses have you done? Looking for anything in particular?
Cold winters, Hot summers - Goondiwindi, QLD - Backyard/Amateur Breeder

Current Breeding Projects:
Red sweet corn... Heat tolerant tomato... Purple snow peas... Improved spaghetti squash

Offline Mukluk

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Another question: if I emasculated the strawberry flowers before they opened and also removed the petals would I need to bag the flowers to prevent pollinators or would they be unlikely to visit that flower?  There are some flowers that I didn't bag and I am wondering what the chances are that a bee or something would have also pollinated the flower?

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
how exciting! A few years ago I thought of doing seed, but never got round to it. There was some info on the web i read at the time. I'm not sure of the pollinators. i the flowers were emasculated then hand pollinated, i would think the chances of an unplanned cross would be low.