Author Topic: Why won't my pepnino set any fruit!  (Read 663 times)

Offline Mukluk

Why won't my pepnino set any fruit!
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
I bought a tiny pepino plant in Spring.  It grew well and started to flower in early December.  It has been flowering ever since, but has not set any fruit.  It has probably had a few hundred flowers and they all drop. 

I have read that pepino needs night time temperatures above 18 to set fruit, recently we have had several weeks of night temps well above 18.  Still my pepino flowers happily but will not set any fruit.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do that may help?  My soil is not fantastic, is there something that it may be lacking that I can add which may help?

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
Re: Why won't my pepnino set any fruit!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »
Perhaps it's a pollination issue? are they self incompatible by any chance? just guessing...
T

Offline Mukluk

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
There are a heap of different pollinators around, flies, wasps, ants, honey bees, several species of native bees etc.   I have tried 'tickling' the flowers like with tomatoes.  Obviously this would not overcome self incompatibility. 

Does anyone know if they are self incompatible?

Any ideas that may help it set fruit.

Offline Templeton

• Administrator
  • Bendigo, Victoria
    • T's Mendelania
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »
hi muk,
this paper here, 2008, suggests they aren't self- sterile for the clones tested - the opposite in fact. tho it does mention in passing problems with fruit set, but no explanation - frustrating!
http://www.ptno.ogr.ar.krakow.pl/Wydawn/FoliaHorticulturae/Spisy/FH2008/PDF20012008/fh2001p03.pdf
T

Offline solanum

• SE Qld
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
Have you tried spraying/watering the plants with sulphate of potassium? It seems to aid with fruit set. There is also gibberellic acid but it is a bit harder to find and to apply. see:http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/CaringForTrees/GibberellicAcid108-98.htm

Offline rowan

• Garden Larder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
Mine have only just started setting though they have been flowering for quite a while. I had just about given up on them for this year.
Casterton, Victoria
Rare and unusual vegetable seed farm

Offline SeanD

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:37:46 PM »
Mine has 2 fruit on it now, that are almost mature.

I noticed this arvo that a lot of flowers have dropped, but more are forming. There are also a couple that are swelling and hopefully going to give me some fruit.

Evening temps have been way below 18degC for a while now so I'm not sure how true that is. It was 1.9degC in Adelaide this morning but mine is tucked away where jack frost can't get to it... I don't think I had any fruit set back when the nights were still that warm.

I've got a feeling they're not completely self fertile. Going to grab a second one in spring and see if I have more luck with fruit set then.

Offline nixphotopix

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:29:31 PM »
Mine has 2 fruit on it now, that are almost mature.

I noticed this arvo that a lot of flowers have dropped, but more are forming. There are also a couple that are swelling and hopefully going to give me some fruit.

Evening temps have been way below 18degC for a while now so I'm not sure how true that is. It was 1.9degC in Adelaide this morning but mine is tucked away where jack frost can't get to it... I don't think I had any fruit set back when the nights were still that warm.

I've got a feeling they're not completely self fertile. Going to grab a second one in spring and see if I have more luck with fruit set then.
Lay a couple stems down on the ground and mound some soil over as they root extremely easily for multiple new plants rather than buying more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SeanD

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

Lay a couple stems down on the ground and mound some soil over as they root extremely easily for multiple new plants rather than buying more

Wouldn't they just be clones and not really help with cross polinating?

Anyway I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to pick these 2 fruit. Everything I had read suggested that picking them too early would lead to them being less sweet and a bit of a dissapointment.

I noticed this arvo that the bigger of the 2 had a dark spot on it with a little hole in the fruit, and it had softened a bit.

Off it came, luckily the dark mark and little hole was only a surface blemish and the fruit was amazing! Like the best rockmelon I've ever had, but a touch sweeter and more juicy.

Looking forward to more of these :-)